Friday, August 16, 2013

Sports Talk Radio:Dan Sileo Back and Better than Ever in Miami


He is back Miami, the former Miami Hurricane and popular sports talk show host Dan Sileo, has returned to the airwaves. He will talk all about the DolphinsHeatMarlins, Hurricanes, Panthers and whatever else he feel like.  
  
One of the countries top sports talk radio hosts, Sileo  has returned to the airwaves in Ft. Lauderdale- Miami. His new show can be head weekdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on WMEN-AM 640. Sileo has recently been head on KLAA in Los Angeles and in Boston on NBC Sports Radio 1510 serving as a fill in host.

For Sileo, he has learned over the past couple of years that his sense of humor and his wit have become his new tools of choice. He knows now that his rants, while entertaining, were not really the best way to express his point of view. In taking to Sileo recently he discussed how his new style played well in both Los Angeles in Boston and now he hopes it will serve him well on his return to the Ft. Lauderdale-Miami market.

JW: What have learned about yourself since leaving Tampa and then Miami amid controversy?

Sileo:”I have learned that I don’t have to go overboard to prove a point. I was the one of the top morning drive men in the country while at WDAE in Tampa. I loved the listeners and the station, but I also enjoyed pushing things as far as I could as a broadcaster and I did the same at WQAM in Miami. In both cases I was loved by the listeners but put management in a hard place. I have written about what I have learned about myself in Talkers Magazine and said it many times in interviews. I let my passion and my zeal to get my point of view across get in the way of who I am most importantly as person and then as a broadcaster.”

JW: What have come away with in your fill in stints in Los Angeles and Boston?

Sileo: That guys like Dan Patrick, Jay Mohr and Jon Stewart have it figured out. I have always had a great sense of humor and what I have learned from being on the air at KLAA and NBC Sports Radio 1510 in Boston, is that adding  satire to my broadcasting style has worked very well for me. The audience’s in both LA and Boston have enjoyed the new way that I have used to get my point across. We have developed a very cool connection, they get it and it clearly is a fun and hip way of taking on the issues of the day in sports.”

JW: So the rants are gone?

Sileo: Rants are like white noise, no one one wants to hear them. They want a host that is smart, has a point of view and can use humor and their years of covering sports to make their point. Look, I have been lucky to have worked at some of this countries best radio stations, I have always had a loyal and strong following and now in Ft. Lauderdale – Miami I am still going to go after people inside and out of sports that I feel are trying to dupe the fans. However, it will be more in the style of Jon Stewart and less in the ranting version.”


No comments:

Post a Comment